RISC OS is the superbly efficient operating system designed in the 1980's by Acorn Computers, and its latest incarnation is used by thousands of people around the world. However, many may never have even heard of RISC OS - so if you're one of them, you've come to the right place.
Pre-dating both Windows and Mac OS to use a task bar or 'Dock', RISC OS includes many revolutionary features which are only just being copied by other systems. Its anti-aliased font technology is still the envy of the computer world and its drag 'n' drop, stackable windows GUI, flexibility and ease of use make it arguably the most productive computer system in the world today.
Thousands of applications and utilities are available, often developed by small companies and individual users, mean that you should be able to find software on RISC OS to cater for all your computing requirements. It is hoped that new developers will come on board to help promote and enhance RISC OS even more.
RISCOS.org seeks to not only introduce newcomers and experts alike to this wonderful system, but to act as a resource centre and help forum for existing users around the world. Our software database is probably the most comprehensive repository of RISC OS links anywhere on the internet, and we update it frequently with new releases.
News Headlines from the RISC OS world
- [27th Oct 2008] Latest Intel chips still can't match ARM for power saving - Intel issued a "correction" Thursday regarding comments one of its executives made earlier this week slamming the iPhone as incapable of working correctly with the internet.
Among other things, the executives accused ARM chips of being unable to "handle the internet" and singled out the iPhone as an example of a smart phone that could be really great if it used one of Intel's low-power x86 architecture processors, known as Atom.
More Info: Silicon.com
- [12th Oct 2008] Major new RISC OS application in development - Long-term RISC OS devotee Paul Vigay has recently announced a new application he's currently working on. With a development version to be demonstrated at the forthcoming RISC OS SE Show, WebAnim8r is a powerful and comprehensive application for creating animations and graphics suitable for including on websites and presentations.
A flexible built-in scripting language allows the user to create complex designs with the aid of simple keywords, or fall back on the intuitive user interface.
More Info: WebAnim8r homepage
- [27th Sep 2008] End of the line for Iyonix - From 30th September it will no longer be possible to purchase an Iyonix computer. After 15 years of business, Jack Lillingston and John Ballance would like to thank all their customers for their support. There are still limited supplies of Iyonix computers available, so order one now as remaining stock is available on a first come, first served basis. From 1st October, support for the Iyonix will continue through the Iyonix dealer network, website and email.
More Info: Full press release
Simple News | Older News...
This RiscOS WebRing site belongs to RiscOS.org
[ Site -2
| Site -1
| Random Site
| Site +1
| Site +2
| Site +5 ]
Want to join the ring? Find out how.
|Recent Articles and What's New at RISCOS.org
Warning: Can't find results file for poll ro017
- Photodesk Resources - A new section contains additional resources, such as textures and stamps for the popular Photodesk application. (21st Sep 2008)
- Wakefield 2008 - A few photos I took at the Wakefield Show. Unfortunately there aren't many because I didn't manage to get away from the stand during the day. (26th Apr 2008)
- Clip Art - I've just created a new section, containing various clip art files I've created, which are free for people to use. (9th Apr 2008)
- iMachine announcement An archived copy of our 2008 April Fool.... (1st Apr 2008)
- CSA.* FAQ gets revamp and new home I've started giving the CSA.* FAQ a major overhaul, along with moving it to its new home at www.riscos.org/csafaq/ (4th Mar 2008)
- USB speed tests I've created a new page to correlate various USB speed tests. (30th Nov 2007)
Latest Software Updates